Temple Beth-El provides many volunteer opportunities during the month of December, open to all.
1) Hanukkah Party – Volunteers are needed for a SAJSS Hanukkah Party at Adante Senior Living on Sunday, December 17, at 2:00 pm. Contact Geri Gregory at 210-733-9135, ext. 120 or email [email protected] if you can help.
2) Adopt-A-Family – Volunteers buy gifts for needy families given to us by Family Service Association. We will gather on Sunday, December 17, at 12:00 noon to wrap, sort, and bag the gifts by families, and to enjoy lunch! A sign-up form to purchase gifts is available on a special Sign-Up Genius. RSVP for the wrapping party and lunch to [email protected] or 210-733-9135, ext. 120.
3) First Responders Christmas Dinner – Temple families will bring Christmas Dinner to various fire stations, police stations, and hospitals in San Antonio. Call Geri Gregory at 210-733-9135, ext. 120 or email [email protected] if you are interested in helping. There are multiple ways to help:
a) Cook a meal at home and deliver on Christmas Day.
b) Come to Temple on Christmas Day to pick up a meal to deliver.
c) Come to Temple to cook with other volunteers on Friday, December 22, Saturday, December 23, Sunday, December 24, or Monday, December 25.
d) Donate money for the purchase of food items. (Click HERE and be sure to specify "Christmas Day Dinner.")
e) Donate food to be cooked HERE.
4) Ronald McDonald House – Volunteers answer phones on December 25th for three Ronald McDonald House locations, so RMH staff can celebrate the holiday at home - 4803 Sid Katz, in the Medical Center area, 227 Lewis St., between San Pedro & McCullough, near the Temple, and Children’s Hospital of San Antonio, 333 N. Santa Rosa. The three shifts for volunteers are 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, 12:00 to 3:00 pm, and 3:00 to 6:00 pm. Volunteer duties include answering phones and assisting/checking-in families. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age. Contact Liz Medina at Ronald McDonald House directly to volunteer at 210-614-2554 or e-mail [email protected].
5) Be a Mentor at Agnes Cotton Elementary - Be a Mentor and make an impact on a child's life, as well as your own! Starting around January 15, 2018 and continuing through May, mentors will be a regular presence in children's lives at Agnes Cotton Elementary, a Temple neighborhood school in SAISD. There will be two training sessions, the first of which is on December 11. You must be at least 18 years old and pass a background check. Contact Geri Gregory at 210-733-9135, ext. 120 or email [email protected] if you are interested in being a mentor.
6) Deliver Meals on Wheels - We need volunteers to deliver Meals on Wheels in the Temple vicinity on a regular or substitute basis. Contact Dollie Closna at 210-733-9135, ext. 126 or email [email protected] if you can help.
7) Donate School and Office supplies, as well as underwear, socks, and personal hygiene items for Agnes Cotton Elementary. Click here for specific items on their wish list. Deliver them to the Temple office at any time.